Sunday, June 22, 2014
Sunday, June 15, 2014
Saturday, June 7, 2014
Monday, June 2, 2014
Saturday, May 31, 2014
This weeks theme is text. I added the affirmation that I am currently manifesting in my life. I used two different gel pink pens and a silver at the bottom for the mantra to the Goddess of prosperity, Laxmi.
I then pulled out my puffy paints to add another layer to the card. I really like how it turned out. None of it was planned, which is why I'm loving this project. Teaching me to simplify my art, and fly by the seat of my pants.
Then I created this one. I started out making the triangle doodle and went from there. I really like how it turned out. I'm adding it to the extra pile.
If you should feel so inclined, hop on over to the FAQ page and join me! xo
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
- Kapha types have strong, steady energy, and physical strength. They excel at endurance sports such as aerobics, dance, soccer, rowing, boxing, and so on
- All aerobic activity that works up a good sweat is powerful and necessary for clearing Kapha congestion and sluggishness
- Predominant Kaphas find the biggest challenge may be finding motivation to exercise. If you are finding it a challenge to begin, a brisk walk may jump start your routine
- It is very important that Kapha dominant people experience some sweating during exercise, which may be achieved with layers of clothing. Gradually increase your exercise to include more aerobic type of activities
- Pitta types have a strong drive, prefer challenging sports such as skiing, hiking, and mountain climbing. They have a competitive nature, and need to have care in being gentle with self, being aware of not increasing their stress while exercising
- Pitta predominant types, tend to enjoy winter sports of all kinds because they handle cold better than Kaphas and Vatas. Pittas are likely to have moderate endurance and will benefit from taking a leisurely walk outdoors in nature. This allows you to experience nature’s beauty
- Swimming is an ideal exercise for Pitta dosha. The water cools the heat of PItta and relieves the accumulated tension of the day
- Pittas should NOT exercise in the sun or do hot yoga!
- Vata types enjoy exercise which require quick burst of speed and agility. They tend to tire quickly, due to the low reserve of energy, and must take care in not over exerting themselves
- Grounding exercises such as yoga, light walking, dancing, and strength training are beneficial to Vata types. These aid in developing strength, balance, and agility, which is much needed for Vata types
- Variety is key for Vata types. They tend to become bored easily and need new and interesting to keep their attention
- Avoiding too much cardio is crucial for Vata types. Too much cardio will increase the already swift motion (air) in their mind-body and will stiffen muscles and joints
Monday, April 7, 2014
The warm sunshine has arrived, allowing us to shed our winter gear, extra pounds included. Most of us find it challenging to lose weight, let alone extra winter weight. Ayurveda states the best time to cleanse and detoxify is Spring. As soon as temperatures begin to warm, our internal cycle shifts from building to releasing. Late Winter and Early Spring are ideal times to begin a new diet, exercise regimen, or fasting. Spring fasting helps cleanse the blood after a long winter of fatty, heavy foods.
Spring is called Kapha season in Ayurveda. Kapha dosha traits are wet, cool, damp, slow, heavy. Kapha disorders prevalent in Spring are coughs, colds, allergies, sluggishness, dullness of the mind, and weight gain. Knowing this we can balance all of the above with a few changes to our routine.
4 ways to help you ease into Spring
- Start moving - begin an exercise routine to shed the extra winter weight. There is nothing more refreshing than a brisk walk on a Spring morning. Sweating is the best way to remove toxins that we stored during the winter months.
- Sleep - the best time to sleep is a 10 pm bedtime with a 6 am wake up. These hours are governed by Kapha dosha and allow for a restful, deep sleep. Anything outside of these times can disrupt the sleep cycle causing one to create toxins in the body.
- Nutrition - Eat a dry Kapha pacifying diet which favor bitters. Add spice to your diet with pepper, fresh ginger, cumin, fennel, jalapenos. Make sure to eat 3 warm meals a day. Kapha is naturally cold and we want to balance this with warmth. Drink Kapha Balancing tea as well. Recipe below.
- Fortify your Immune System - This can be done a variety of ways, whether you choose food, or herbal supplements, fortifying the immune system allows the body to combat all external forces much more efficiently and easily. There are Ayurvedic herbs which will help support your body’s natural response to allergens by helping to eliminate existing toxins, which aids a smooth transition into Spring. Turmeric, coriander and cumin are effective spices for helping to cope with allergens, as they improve digestion and immunity.
Kapha Balancing Tea
4 cups water
1 Tablespoon cinnamon sticks, crushed
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon fresh grated or chopped ginger
1 Tablespoon of sucanat or other natural sweetner (optional)
Procedure: Heat water in a pot. Add slightly crushed cinnamon sticks and turmeric powder. Boil for 3 minutes. Add sweetener and grated ginger and boil for 2 more minutes. Strain and serve hot.
Tea is originally from here.
Let food be your medicine, and your kitchen be your pharmacy.
Sunday, December 22, 2013
Monday, August 5, 2013
Pregnancy is a journey that is a once in a lifetime, and unique in and of itself. Each one is different. We must allow our hearts to soar to the greatest depths which reveal the inner mother. So many emotions during pregnancy when we allow our heart to soar, we expand those feelings, give birth to new thoughts, and expose our true self. It's preparation for the child who will arrive, for that is what they do for us. They expand us in ways we never imagined. They force us to really look within and go beyond being a human, into the spirit, into the heart, into real love. Don't fear the expansion, don't fear the love...allow your heart to soar, and trust it.
Saturday, July 6, 2013
I was blessed to attend a sold-out Hollywood Bowl featuring four and a half hours of non-stop mariachi music with a special tribute to the legendary singer, songwriter, Jose Alfredo Jimenez. Created and produced by Rodri J. Rodriguez, the Festival consisted of a night full of the best mariachi music including: the famous Mariachi Vargas de Tecalitlan from Mexico; Grammy nominated Mariachi Los Arrieros del Valle from Texas; Mariachi Estrella de Jalisco and Mariachi Los Reyes from Los Angeles; and the Grammy nominated ladies of Trio Ellas.
|The famous Mariachi Vargas de Tecalitlan on stage during the 24th Annual MARIACHI USA Festival at the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, June 29, 2013.|
This was the 24th year of the MARIACHI USA Festival and I look forward to the 25 year! Thank you Rodri J. Rodriguez for producing a beautiful show!
|The Hollywood Bowl lights up with fireworks during the grand finale of the 24th MARIACHI USA Festival on Saturday, June 29, 2013.|
Monday, June 24, 2013
I am very excited to attend the MARIACHI USA Festival which is taking place this Saturday, June 29th at the famous Hollywood Bowl. Tickets are still available. Founded and created by artist and producer Rodri J. Rodriguez,
the festival allows for generations to share in the tradition that is Mariachi music. It is for friends, family, and strangers to come together and celebrate the beautiful music.
This year’s festival will feature Mexico’s legendary Mariachi Vargas de Tecalitlan; Grammy nominee Mariachi Los Arrieros del Valle from Texas; the popular Mariachi Estrella de Jalisco; and Mariachi Los Reyes, both from Los Angeles. Mi Tierra Ballet Folklórico, will be performing with their amazing choreography and beautiful costumes.
Also celebrating their debut at the festival is Grammy nominee, Trio Ellas. I had a chance to ask them a few questions:
How did you meet? How long have you been working/playing together?
Suemy, Stephanie and Nelly met through working together in previous mariachi groups. Around 7 years ago, none of them had any commitments to any groups in particular. In need of money, Stephanie and Suemy called each other on a weeknight and decided to drive out to a restaurant in Pasadena and attempt to play table to table for tips. However, the guitarron (bass) was needed in addition to the guitar and violin, and since Nelly was a bass player in town that did not belong to any particular group, she was asked to come along. We have been working/playing together for 7 years.
Where do you find your inspiration?
Suemy: I like to listen to a violinist named Stephane Grappelli. Also, my parents are a great inspiration in my life since they were the ones that introduced me to music.
Stephanie: My home life is pretty inspiring since between my husband and I are both musicians and our taste cover a pretty large range. Cool chicks like Ann Wilson and Bonnie Raitt are inspiring and so are the super divas like Paulina Rubio. Musically, Venezuelan group Recoveco, Remedios Amaya and old Mariachi Vargas recordings.
Nelly: Great bass players such as Cachao, Charles Mingus and Ryan Cross are an inspiration. The different genres and styles of music they perform(ed) are motivating.
What is your favorite moment in your careers so far?
Being nominated for a Latin Grammy. Going to Las Vegas, walking down the "green" carpet and sitting in a section along with other grammy nominees such as Pepe Aguilar and Juanes.
What is one indulgence/hobby/self care you partake in when not working?
Suemy: If i'm very tired (from gigging) I like to lay on my bed and watch the Food Network or the Travel Channel. If i'm not doing that, then i'm practicing playing the electric guitar, or arranging trio ellas vocals.
Stephanie: I'm a super fan of classic ballet. Other than that I'm an extreme homebody. My motto is stage makeup or no makeup.
Nelly: I love being active and if that can include a workout then I'm super happy. I go for a run every other day and in between those days ill mix it up and go play catch with my son, bowling, or simply call it a deep cleaning day at home.
With whom would you like to do a duet?
We have always wanted Diego Cigala to either sing or record with us. We are big fans of his style of singing.
The MARIACHI USA Festival will feature a tribute to Mexico’s legendary composer and performer Jose Alfredo Jimenez. This will be topped off with a spectacular fireworks finale and 17,000 fans singing along to “El Rey”, “Volver Volver”, “Viva Mexico” and “La Negra”.
Check out and like their Facebook page, follow them on Twitter, and YouTube some of the previous performances, which are sure to warm your musical heart.
Disclosure: I am being provided complimentary tickets to this year’s Mariachi Festival.
Thursday, June 20, 2013
Like a moth drawn to light, I strive to be. Especially during pregnancy. It's important to choose the positive, the optimism, the good while pregnant. Having a healthy experience consist of proper body, mind, and spirit. Embrace the light, and allow it to transform you, your baby, and your world.
Transform and open your heart to the new role which is occurring. Don't expect anything, or have preconceived notions about what will occur, simply flow with life. Let it unfold naturally. As it should be.