Spices are essential for healing the body from the inside out. This recipe allows you to play with many, but this is my favorite recipe.
Kichdi - (kitch-dee, AKA kitchardi, kitchdi)
Basmati Rice and Moong (Mung) Beans
- Nourishing and healing
- Easily digestible
- Complete protein and meal
- Gluten free
I like to eat this (and this only) for 5 to 7 days at least once a year, during Spring. It helps the body release any old toxins that may be disturbing the beautiful body.
Let's get to it!
- 1/2 cup Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Moong Beans
- 6 cups of water
- 1 inch of fresh Ginger, grated
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 2 tsp ghee/butter
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4tsp Salt and Black Pepper/or to taste
- Fresh Cilantro leaves
- Sort and rinse rice and lentils twice
- Place in pot with 6 cups of water, ginger and cinnamon
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute the seeds in the ghee or butter until they pop (about 20 seconds on medium high heat), and immediately add the remaining spices
- Stir for about 15 seconds, until you smell the spices, then, add to pot of rice and lentils.
- Cook for 20 minutes
- Top with cilantro leaves, a squeeze of lime and serve