Spices are essential for healing the body from the inside out. This recipe allows you to play with many, but this is my favorite recipe.
Kichdi - (kitch-dee, AKA kitchardi, kitchdi)
Basmati Rice and Split Yellow Lentils
- Nourishing and healing
- Easily digestible
- Complete protein and meal
- Gluten free
I like to eat this (and this only) for 5 to 7 days at least once a year, during Spring. It helps the body release any old toxins that may be disturbing the beautiful body. Is this something you see yourself doing? Email me now!
Let's get to it!
- 1/2 cup Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Split Yellow Lentils
- 6 cups of water
- 1 inch of fresh Ginger, grated
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 2 tsp ghee/butter
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4tsp Salt and Black Pepper/or to taste
- Fresh Cilantro leaves
- Sort and rinse rice and lentils twice
- Place in pot with 6 cups of water, ginger and cinnamon
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute the seeds in the ghee or butter until they pop (about 20 seconds on medium high heat), and immediately add the remaining spices
- Stir for about 15 seconds, until you smell the spices, then, add to pot of rice and lentils.
- Cook for 20 minutes
- Top with cilantro leaves, a squeeze of lime and serve