First, what the fuck is Abhyanga?!
- Based in Ayurveda
- Self massage with pre-medicated warm oil
For most Americans, touching ourselves is generally reserved for our private parts.
*We don't associate touch with healing*
In Ayurveda, it is part of our lifestyle to do a self massage. How often depends on the Dosha. It varies from daily to weekly.
Find out more here.
It took me a very long time to begin this practice. Here's why:
- I didn't love myself
- I thought touching myself was only for sexual purposes
- Oil on my body - say what?
I bought some amazing Kapha oil to start the journey. I usually warm up my oil in hot water, or a mini slowcooker. I like to apply the oil after a shower or bath, however, I also apply before my yoga practice.
- Applying before yoga allows us to sweat out deep seated toxins while practicing.
Here's a quick vid of how I apply. This is only my arms and legs, I also do my back and stomach, which I didn't show (but you can see a more thorough example here).
I suggest laying down a towel on your mat after oiling down. Your yoga mat will get slippery without one.
After a month of practicing this therapeutic modality I experienced:
- Love for my body and shape
- Confidence, which led to feeling empowered
- Better sleep
- Improved emotional, and mental state
- A Goddess like feeling (no, seriously)
- So much more!
It almost felt like I was peeling away the layers and unearthing the "me" that was before I decided to "adult".
I hope you're curious enough to try this out. If you buy from the links I've shared (for which I'd be grateful), I get credit, as I am an afflilite.
If you need any help, advice, have a question - I'm here to serve and help as much as I possibly can.