It is that time again.
Winter is upon us, which means Vata Dosha is prevalent at the moment.
Depending on what part of the world you're in, this may not be the case. Currently, in Los Angeles, it is Fall season, with lots of wind.
We are currently surrounded by fires, so if you're of the praying kind, we'd appreciate one.
Vata Dosha consists of the Air and Ether elements. It is quite possible we are feeling brain fog and finding it hard to focus at this time.
Vata governs movement, the activities of your nervous system, and our process of elimination.
Prakruti, one's natural state of wholeness, is determined upon conception. It's based on many factors, including the parent's state of being at that time.
Vata Dosha has certain characteristics and attributes which gives us a guideline as far as becoming and staying in balance.
Qualities which are attributed to Vata Dosha are:
The goal is to balance these qualities and this element to avoid any and all aggravation of Vata Dosha.
Here's 5 things to do which will help.
1. Abhyangha - 5 reasons to do this here, but come one, it's a self-massage. Who wouldn't benefit from that?
2. Stay warm! Wear appropriate clothing and keep your head covered when the weather is cold and/or wet.
3. Practice light exercise that focuses on balance and flexibility.
4. Favor aromas which are sweet, heavy, and warm. These include basil, bay, cinnamon, citrus, cloves, frankincense, lavender, pine, sage, and vanilla.
5. Move your bowels daily! I use Triphala every night before going to bed. I take 2 pulls at night and wake up and move my bowels. It works. Constipation is probably one of the worst symptoms of an aggravated Vata Dosha.
For honesty and transparency - there are affiliate links in here. I was not paid for this post, and all opinions are mine! Lucky you.
Also - in an effort to clear toxins before Winter I am hosting a month of drinking Warm Water with Lemon or Lime first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach.
It is super beneficial to aid in staying healthy!